Here are the important travel-related risks that a good travel cover can shield you from.
- Travel Medical Insurance: covers everything from injuries and ailments to emergency evacuation which can costs upwards of US$ 18,000 depending on the distance and remoteness.
- Additional Travel Costs: Medical situations have several associated costs like changing flights, additional accommodation, cost of companion, taxis, food, etc, which can run into thousands of dollars.
- Personal Liability: It can cost you a lot of money in the event you are sued and in places like the US the risk and costs are high.
- Personal Possessions: This provides protection against loss, theft or damage to your expensive equipment, like cameras, notebooks, etc.
- Trip Cancellation Insurance: Illnesses, accidents, and life, in general, can happen to any of us at any time, but having to cancel your expensive holiday because it doesn’t have to cost you money as well. Always buy your travel insurance the moment your trip is booked that way you are covered even if the trip is 3 months away!
What most people who travel without trip insurance fail to realise is that the burden of such cost automatically gets passed on to their loved ones. Here is an instance of parents who are faced with GBP98,000 in medical evacuation costs to fly back their son who is in a coma.
The UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office is an excellent resource for travel-related advice and tips; its very useful for everyone. They even have a “Know Before You Go” campaign on YouTube that’s very useful. If you cannot afford travel protect, how will you afford costs related to medical, cancellation, theft, loss, liabilities, etc?